1. Visit a local fair: Research a summer fair close to your home and experience an evening of high-flying rides and pop-up games. Set your sights on a grand prize—and keep playing until you win!
2. Catch fireflies at night: Step outside and search the summer sky for fireflies. Once you catch your well-lit bug, place it in a mason jar, punch holes in the lid and watch as it lights up the night sky—all before you say goodbye and release your bug back into the air.
On Your Feet: Jameson
3. Play miniature golf: Pick up a putter and challenge your friends to a round of mini golf. Create make-believe awards for everyone involved, from “most inventive shot” to “most patient putter.”
4. Host a barbecue: Gather your closest friends, create a delicious menu, and enjoy a relaxing afternoon in the sun. For drinks, surprise your guests with a sweet summer cocktail—like Jeffrey Morgenthaler's “East of Eden.”
5. Go to a baseball game: Visit the Major Leagues, Minor Leagues or Little Leagues and experience the thrill of summer baseball. Before you buy tickets, pick up a baseball cap to make your fanhood official.
6. Attend an outdoor concert: Pack a picnic, jump in the car, and soak in the sounds of an outdoor concert. For an unexpected twist, seek out a brand-new band or an unfamiliar genre.
On Your Feet: Professional Clog
7. Pick peaches: Walk your local orchard in search of lush, orange peaches. Once you’ve filled your box, and eaten your share, make a sweet summer recipe—like grilled peaches with blackberry basil butter.
8. Walk the boardwalk: Stroll down the boards of a beachside boardwalk and delight in summer’s warm breezes and fragrant air. On your walk, pick out the best beachside food, from savory clams to brick-oven pizza.
9. Visit the zoo: Spend a day hanging with the giraffes, monkeys and elephants, and explore an entire community of well-known (and unknown) animals. Make sure to make a stop at the petting zoo, too, to get up close and personal with the zoo’s most interesting attractions.
10. Watch a drive-in movie: Take the entertainment outside this summer and locate an outdoor movie theater. Pick a film, grab your popcorn and watch away.